Re: [opensuse-web] Why PgConf US chose OSEM
  • From: Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 10:10:53 +0000
Stella Rouzi (differentreality) <differentreality@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 8:16 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Folks,

Just thought I would share:

http://blog.pgconf.us/2017/01/an-investment-in-future-why-pgconfus.html

Thanks for sharing :D

Indeed, and even more thanks for your decision!

Recently the OpenStack community was in a similar position. I
suggested they consider OSEM as a possible solution. Sadly (for me
anyway) they decided to write something from scratch, which still has
numerous issues, and it's not clear to me how they are going to
attract a community of developers to the project from outside the
OpenStack ecosystem.

I see this pattern of wheel-reinvention and "competition
vs. collaboration" time and time again, in so many areas of FL/OSS.
You only have to look at the number of unmerged forks in any popular
repository on github to see this phenomenon. Here's one of countless
examples:

https://github.com/sosedoff/capistrano-unicorn/network

It's such a frustrating waste of effort; the various communities would
all be so much stronger if they didn't fragment so much. Ah well.
Human nature, I suppose. Sorry to let off steam - I guess I've had a
blog post on this brewing for quite some time.

</rant>