Re: [opensuse-web] RFC:
Hello,

Am Freitag, 29. November 2013 schrieb Matthew Ehle:
On Nov 29, 2013, at 10:31, "Rajko" <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Wiki search does not work too often, so it would be nice to have
already configured Google search as default:
http://en.opensuse.org/MediaWiki:GoogleSearch

I'm against it for "political" reasons - we recommend to use free
software everywhere, so using google as default search would send the
wrong signal ;-)

Nevertheless, thanks for bringing up the topic - in the meantime I
learned a bit more about Lucene.

This was one of the options we looked at before going with the current
solution. IIRC, it was implemented with an extension and had a lot
of issues at the time. That was a few years ago, so it's certainly
possible that using Google is now the better solution. As has been
noted, the Lucene indices have a tendency to get corrupted and
require manual intervention.

How often does this happen? From the mails I noticed, I'd say once or
maybe twice a year, but not more.

BTW: What type of breakage was it?
Is it something that we can catch (and repair) automatically?

Your proposed solution would certainly
be easier to maintain, and it will probably give just as good or
better results than Lucene (even when it's happy).

We might need to change the Lucene config. I know that's an often
discussed story, so let me just list some bullet points
- search all namespaces (and, if needed, tie up Henne because I'm sure
he won't like this ;-))
- use [Namespace-Boost] in lsearch-global.conf [1] [2] to boost the
namespaces that we currently search (main and portal IIRC)

The result will be that pages from main and portal namespace will still
be the top-rated search results, with the (currently hidden) results
from other namespaces below.

I'll talk to Scott on Monday. I agree it's time to take another look
at our search options.

While you are on it, please also ask him to
- update the wiki to the latest 1.19 release - 1.19.3 is quite old,
there were several security updates in the meantime
- fix SimpleFeed extension (if needed, I can help - it works for me with
MediaWiki 1.19, so it should also work for the openSUSE wiki ;-)
- merge our mw_upgrade_1.19 git branch into master (which still has
1.17) so that our production code isn't hidden in a branch anymore

[1] assuming the config filename matches the Lucene setup I'm using

[2] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:OrenBochman/Search/Spec
contains some useful hints and examples
--
Ich glaube nicht, daß es je einem Briefkasten gelungen ist durch
Namenslosigkeit oder Pseudonym den Werbeblättchen des Supermarkts