Re: [opensuse-wiki] Re: [opensuse-web] Theming Issues Fixed
Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx> 12/7/2011 9:47 AM >>>
Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 7. Dezember 2011 schrieb Matthew Ehle:
Christian Boltz opensuse@xxxxxxxxx> 12/7/2011 4:44 AM

From the remaining files that are not available to the public, there
are 3 left where I'm not sure because I don't know what their
usecase is:
- opensearch_desc.php
- thumb.php
- trackback.php

Plus the maintenance directories, etc.

Yes, of course - but for the maintenance directories etc. I'm quite sure
that they will/should never be used by wiki visitors ;-)

Exactly why the redirect is there... keeping visitors from hitting files and
directories they shouldn't, whether intentionally or not.

Maybe you can find out what they are used for and if they should be
public. At least hiding them doesn't cause any obvious breakage, so
this isn't high priority.

Those files have been around for awhile, and as far as I can tell, we
never use them.

I just found out that they are documented:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Opensearch_desc.php
The description sounds interesting, and the wiki HTML source code even
points to it:
<link rel="search" type="application/opensearchdescription+xml"
href="/opensearch_desc.php" title="openSUSE (en)" />
so maybe you should allow access to it ;-)

We use a search extension, so we should not allow access to it. We never have
before, and it hasn't been a problem.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Thumb.php
AFAIK we don't use this way of thumbnail generation.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Trackback.php
Trackback support ($wgUseTrackbacks) is deprecated, no need to enable it
now ;-)

Exactly. I think we are just fine with what we have now.

I commited the fixed CSS to git. Please test it on ${not-en}.o.o and
then deploy to all wikis.

I can't test it that way, as all the wikis use the same set of core
files. Can you imagine how awful it would be to maintain them
otherwise :)

Hmm...

for dir in *.o.o ; do
( cd $dir && git pull )
done

doesn't look too awful ;-)
Well, keep in mind that we were not using git until two weeks ago. Also, there
are a lot of little things that do not involve git. For example, adding a
banner message to LocalSettings.php or testing out a new change on stage. Yes,
I can use for loops, find, and sed all day long (believe me, I do). However, I
still have yet to find a quicker and better way to keep 25+ directories in
perfect sync than using symbolic links. There's a reason symlinks were
invented :)

However, I will pull into stage and test there.

Yes, that should work. I just wanted to make sure that you don't test on
en.o.o because it already has the fixed CSS in Mediawiki:Common.css.
Let's all take a look at stage and see if we need to change anything before we
go live with it. When I deploy to prod, it will instantly be out on all the
wikis, and we can test everywhere out there too.