Re: [opensuse-web] New www.o.o landing page
Hello,

on Donnerstag, 3. März 2011, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
On 02.03.2011 21:48, Christian Boltz wrote:
on Mittwoch, 2. März 2011, Henne Vogelsang wrote:

I strongly object to this. Lets base the future on what we do
today instead of throwing everything over board once again.

Henne, I understand your point, and I'm also not a big fan of
changing everything for little reason. That method would have
saved openSUSE lots of trouble in the past (ZENworks anyone? ;-) -
but OTOH we wouldn't have the wonderful libzypp based package
management we have today. Sometimes there are good reasons for a
change, sometimes there aren't.

Please don't compare apples with oranges :)

I never talked about Macs... *SCNR*

We don't have a problem
with wordpress. If we would have I would be the first one to try to
change it.

Well, IIRC there was a hacked blog some time ago - not on *.o.o, but on
*.novell.com (and IIRC this indirectly affected some *.o.o blog also).
I know it was a one-time event, and hope it won't happen again. Still I
would call it a "problem" ;-)

I prefer to use software that is known to be secure (or at least much
more secure - I know nobody/nothing is perfect) instead of hoping not to
be the victim of the next wordpress exploit ;-)

Seriously: Can you give a short summary about what is "special" in
the openSUSE wordpress installations (news.o.o etc.) compared to a
vanilla wordpress? I'll then try to give a rough estimate how much
time a migration would take.

And then? You do it?

Probably not alone, but I will help.

The former solution seems to be a lot of "monkey work", [...]
I don't think it would be viable on a long term approach. We
better succeed in the latter approach.. or buy lot of banana :)
[Rémy Marquis in opensuse-wiki]