Re: [opensuse-virtual] Re: [opensuse] where has independent_wallclock gone ?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 12:24:20 +0100
Jan Beulich wrote:

On 05.02.18 at 10:03, <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Per Jessen wrote:

I have a xen guest running leap15 beta - whilst playing with chrony
and ntp, I noticed that independent_wallclock appears to have gone
away?

It would normally reside here: /proc/sys/xen/

I don't see it in Leap15 nor in Leap423.

The source file is

arch/x86/kernel/time-xen.c

It was still present in Leap421, kernel 4.1.39, but with leap422,
kernel 4.4.27, it's gone. I know the xen patches are no longer
needed, everything is in the kernel, but I cannot find anything that
tells me what to do about independent_wallclock ?

It is not needed anymore? I can see my leap15 guest has lost two
second already, out of sync with dom0.

A Leap423 guest is also losing time. (no NTP).

I'm afraid I can't match the question with the observation: In
kernel-xen independent wall clock was off by default, with the goal of
making use of something like NTP in guests unnecessary. Hence you
could either have made use of the option (and then use NTP in the
guest), or you could have lived with the default (and would then have
to have switched to use NTP in PV guests with the Xen patches gone),
in which case the option itself is irrelevant here. Could you clarify
which of the two you're actually after, or what I'm missing?

I was just playing around with Leap15 as a guest and wanted to run ntp,
but couldn't find the wallclock setting. I thought it might mean it is
no longer necessary to run ntp, i.e. that the guest would sync to dom0.
Are you saying that there is no need to set independent_wallclock when
running ntp in a DomU ?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (1.5°C)