[opensuse-virtual] Status of USB redirection in Qemu-KVM?
Hello all,

I like know, how is the status of USB redirection for Qemu-KVM in
openSUSE (Virtualization repository)?

For me and probably for many other users it is a nice feature to
give virtualization guests direct access to USB devices of the
host system.

I did some tests with the following results:

* USB redirection does not work at all using Qemu-KVM 1.7.0 from
Virtualization repository
* After building my own version of Qemu-KVM 1.7.0 with libusb >=
1.0.18 from "hardware" repository and activation of libusb
using "configure --enable-libusb" in qemu.spec I had some success.

The following worked:

* USB redirection with static assignment of an USB device worked
with Windows XP as a guest. I tested with an USB mass storage
device. From my "windowsxp" libvirt configuration:
<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='yes'>
<source>
<vendor id='0x2237'/>
<product id='0x4193'/>
</source>
</hostdev>

But I also had some problems:

* The same configuration did not worked with a Windows 8 guest.
The error in Windows 8.1 device manager was, that the USB
device could not be started.
* USB redirection at runtime with "Spicy" didn't worked with
Windows XP and Windows 8. Spicy offered the redirection in a
dialog, but the guests did not see the redirected devices.
Permission problems can not be the reason, because I also
tried Spicy with root access. Windows XP also has the Spice
driver installed.

My questions:

Are there plans to add USB redirection support for Qemu-KVM? For
reference and testing I made a repository here:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/bjoernv:/branches:/Virtualization/openSUSE_13.1/home:bjoernv:branches:Virtualization.repo

Are there ideas how to resolve the remaining problems?

Greetings,
Björn