Re: [opensuse-virtual] Xen compat
Hi,

Am 16.01.2014 18:39, schrieb Charles Arnold:
On 1/16/2014 at 09:25 AM, in message <52D80805.8010202@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Wolfgang
Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I've noticed a few days ago that openSUSE 13.1 cannot be installed on
openSUSE 11.4 Xen host.
All the virtualization stuff with Xen is starting to annoy me if I need
to update the host all the time. Therefore I want to look into providing
my own kernel for 13.1 and try to get it run.
There is a Xen compatibility setting in the kernel which apparently says
in 13.1 that it should be backwards compatible down to xen 4.2. Can I
simply change that value or are problems expected already before I'm
going to try it?

There is a kernel compatibility flag that needs to be set.
Perhaps a more general question to the list is what is a reasonable backward
compatibility level that we should be setting in the openSUSE kernel so that
our VMs can run on older hosts?

I would have an opinion but I have no idea what the implications are
when compatibility is extended.

One rule of thumb could be to provide compatibility down to oldest
maintained openSUSE release (at release time of a new distribution) at
least. And when I say that I would expect this to include the Evergreen
maintained versions.
So that would mean that 13.1 would need to support running on a 11.4
host (as in my case).
For 13.2 (if it will be released in plan at all) it's a bit of a
conflict. 11.4 is maintained at least until July 2014 while 13.2 is
planned around that time.
So talking about the theory I would also wish 13.2 to run on 11.4 still.
And obviously all openSUSE releases should still run on SLES11 (not sure
which Xen version is in the latest service pack there).

But all that is without any idea what that means technically about
efforts and disadvantages of being compatible with older Xen releases.

Was there any policy up to now how that compatibility level was chosen?
Because currently (if my reading of the kernel parameter is correct)
13.1 is only compatible to run on 12.3 hosts and no older ones. This
limitation is quite narrow in my opinion.

Wolfgang