Re: [opensuse-virtual] is there a clever way to shrink qcow2 images
Hi,

Using separate images for partitions makes the script a tiny bit less complex.

I've already been scripting the exercise, the use off multiple
partition images makes it only a tiny bit more complex.
qemu-nbd simply adds another device for each additional partition.

#!/binbash
modprobe nbd max_part=16 #number off partitions
qemu-nbd -c --nocache --aio=native /path/to/image.qcow2
mount /dev/nbd0 /mnt # I didn't partiotion the image, just
formated the image as ext4
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/bigfile bs=1024k; sync; rm /mnt/bigfile; rm
bigfile; sync; rm /mnt/bigfile; sync
sleep 2
umount /dev/nbd0 # umount the device
qemu-nbd /dev/nbd0 # clean up nbd devices or they will bite you
qemu-img convert -c -O qcow2 /path/to/image.qcow2 /path/to/shrunk.qcow2
mv /path/to/image.qcow2 /path/to/image.qcow2.bak
mv /path/to/shrunk.qcow2 /path/to/image.qcow2

The performance of qemu-nbd is rather poor, using writeback cache is
not really an option since you always need to wait for the zeroes to
be actually written to the hd.
Also writeback is very hazardous if you use a script to umount and
disconnect the nbd device, image corruption is very likely to happen
since sync doesn't apply to nbd0 devices and blockdev --flushbufs
/dev/nbd0 isn't foolproof either when scripting.
(ctrl-c the script at the wrong time and you are in for a recovery)

So the script isn't that difficult, neither is the use of multiple
partitions in an image.
The biggest drawback is, downtime, filling the image with zeroes takes
even longer offline than online.
Ok you could have a cronjob in the vm that does that nightly, but I
can imagine issues when the hd of a vm is at filled to the max at
regular intervals (once a month ??), even at expected times and only
for a short moment.
Also that would mean the shrinking cronjob is required on the host (I
want the shrinking done as soon as possible after the zeroing)
This has to be timed properly with the zero cronjob of the guest, this
becomes rather complex with every additional guest.

Regards
Rob