[opensuse-virtual] Re: [opensuse-arm] qemu package split
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 16:17:58 +0200
On Donnerstag, 23. Mai 2013, 12:06:00 wrote Andreas Färber:
Hi everyone,

Ever since I've been involved with openSUSE, the qemu package has had an
unusual setup of configuring and building twice: once for the regular
binaries, then moving them to a temporary directory and finally
configuring and building statically for the qemu-linux-user subpackage,
used for arm chroot builds among others.

In our quest to finally unify the kvm and qemu packages, I have updated
the qemu package to 1.5.0 (SR#176307 pending for Factory) and have
subsequently prepared to split the qemu.spec[.in] to build
qemu-linux-user in a separate linked package similar to gcc or kernel:

AFAICS the RPM package name stays the same that way, so armv7/armv5el
should hopefully be unaffected and the change transparent to end users.

A nice side-effect is that we can limit the SLE_11_SP2 build breakage to
qemu-linux-user package (BNC#820754: SLE_11_SP2 is missing a glibc
maintenance update for static builds). Also the dependencies for
qemu-linux-user get significantly less and no *-static deps for qemu.

If I don't hear any objections, I'll accept the changed qemu package
into Virtualization project later today and will setup qemu-linux-user
package there.

sounds good to me :)

--
Adrian Schroeter