Re: [opensuse-virtual] Xen on 11.1 and network configuration
  • From: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:34:57 -0600
Ciro Iriarte wrote:
Hi, i've been using Xen with SLES10SP2 for some time and now I need
run some domUs on opensuse 11.1. From the Xen config file I see that
the configuration shouldn't be done with the xen scripts but with the
distribution's tools.

Correct. Starting with openSUSE11.1 and SLE11 we no longer use the xen
networking scripts but instead use YaST to configure bridges and the like.

From virt-manager I can see a option for "Virtual Network" option that
states: "Choose this options
if your host is disconnected, connected via wireless or dynamically
configured with NetworkManager", but there are no entries in the
dropdown list and I can't find how to add them.

I've successfully used virt-manager in 11.2 to create networks but these
are not known to sysconfig, so actions like 'rcnetwork restart' can
wreak havoc. In fact, this is one of the primary reasons we deprecated
the xen networking scripts. Using YaST and ifcfg scripts, we can do
things like 'rcnetwork restart' - even with vms running! The vm's vifs
are reconnected following bridge restart. From vm's perspective, it's
as if the lan cable was disconnected then reconnected again.

BTW, you can't use NetworkManager with bridged setups - it has no
knowledge of bridged configurations. You'll have to use 'traditional
networking' mode.

From the list's archive I found this post:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-virtual/2009-01/msg00018.html. But
doesn't seem to work. I need to use NetworkManager and I'm trying to
add two interfaces to the domU, one only to communicate with other
domUs and with the dom0, and a second one that should be bridged to
the public network.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Just use YaST (yast2 lan) to create your networks. E.g., to create a
bridge start yast2 lan, add a device, select 'bridge' device type, and
then select the dom0 interface you want enslaved to the bridge. The
YaST interface is quite intuitive IMO.

Cheers,
Jim