[opensuse-virtual] qemu, virtio and network card
  • From: Paul Reeves <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 13:11:57 +0200

I'm running qemu-kvm and testing the use of virtio for network access. It
seems to work. However, yast is confused. Sure, there is a device eth0 that
is configured and is using the virtio_net module. However yast also claims
that there is an unconfigured Virtio Network device that it cannot
configure because:

"Unable to configure the network card because the kernel device (eth0,
wlan0) is not present. This is mostly caused by missing firmware (for wlan
devices). See dmesg output for details."

This seems to be erroneous. The unconfigured Virtio network device should
not show up at all, afaict.

For example, if I boot the qemu session with the pcnet nc then yast just
shows the eth0 device using the pcnet module. There are no unconfigured
devices.

So, I guess this is a bug - but is it yast, qemu, me or ?

Paul
--
Paul Reeves
http://www.fleetriver.com