Re: [opensuse-virtual] Updating a OpenSuse 11.0 DomU to OpenSuse11.1 problem
  • From: "Jason Douglas" <jdouglas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:24:08 -0600
So I attempted to duplicate your environment (although with less disks),
and it seemed to work. My comments are in-line.

Jason

On 3/23/2009 at 02:31 PM, in message <49C7F18C.5050007@xxxxxxxxx>,
Jörg
Spilker <js@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jason Douglas schrieb:

What kind of startup file is this? Could you send it to me?

i used the following startup file to do an update with the OpenSUSE
11.1
DVD. The DVD was available via /dev/sr0. This file was created by me
after watching vm-installer created configuration files for
installing a
DomU from DVD media.

name="test"
uuid="d3fd1172-3738-6c8d-330a-74b94a55a697"
memory=384
maxmem=384
vcpus=1
on_poweroff="destroy"
on_reboot="destroy"
on_crash="destroy"
localtime=0
keymap="de"
builder="linux"
kernel="/tmp/kernel.xen"
ramdisk="/tmp/initrd.xen"
extra=" install=hd:/dev/xvdy "
root="/dev/xvda"
disk=[ 'phy:/dev/domX/daolin_root,xvda,w'
, 'phy:/dev/domX/daolin_boot,xvdb,w'
, 'phy:/dev/domX/daolin_usr,xvdc,w'
, 'phy:/dev/domX/daolin_opt,xvdd,w'
, 'phy:/dev/domX/daolin_var,xvde,w'
, 'phy:/dev/domX/daolin_src,xvdf,w'
, 'phy:/dev/domX/daolin_tmp,xvdg,w'
, 'phy:/dev/data/home,xvdh,w'
, 'phy:/dev/data/foto,xvdi,w'
, 'phy:/dev/data/imap,xvdj,w'
, 'phy:/dev/data/news,xvdk,w'
, 'phy:/dev/data/squid,xvdl,w'
, 'phy:/dev/data/srv,xvdm,w'
, 'phy:/dev/hda1,xvdn,w'
, 'phy:/dev/backup/backup,xvdo,w'
, 'phy:/dev/sr0,xvdy:cdrom,r'
, 'phy:/dev/sr1,xvdz:cdrom,r']
vif=['mac=00:16:3e:35:55:5f']
vfb=['type=vnc,vncunused=1']

This was essentially the same as mine except that I pointed to the
installation kernel and initrd (vmlinuz-xen & initrd-xen) directly on
the DVD media for openSUSE 11.1 which I had mounted read-only at
/os11.1-cd/. Here are the pertinent lines:

kernel="/os11.1-cd/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz-xen"
ramdisk="/os11.1-cd/boot/x86_64/initrd-xen"

As long as your /tmp/kernel.xen / initrd.xen are the same files as
these, we're on the same path. If not, then that's your first problem.

What happens is: The usual install appears in vncviewer. A new
installation shows all the disks without any partitions and tries to
install on /dev/xvdo (partioning it into two partitions). However
when
choosing updating an existing system, nothing is shown in the list
of
devices.

I saw this as well. When the installation program began, I selected
update, and on the "Select for Update" screen, I clicked "Show All
Partitions". I then selected /dev/xvda1, and clicked Next.

You should be able to do everything you need to from within the
domU.
Other than config file modifications, you shouldn't have to do any
mounting in dom0. In fact, I have seen instances where lvm volumes
were
getting auto-mounted in 11.1 dom0 which was causing endless problems
for
my VMs.

can i do an update from 11.0 to 11.1 from within the running 11.0
domU?
I thought this kind of update is only possible if the system is not
running.

Sorry for the confusion. I simply meant that there was no need to
mount any of the VM's disks in domain0. You are probably correct that
the update needs to be done on a down server (although I'm not the right
one to say for sure).

Greeting, Jörg