Re: [opensuse-virtual] Updating a OpenSuse 11.0 DomU to OpenSuse 11.1 problem
  • From: Jörg Spilker <js@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 21:31:08 +0100
Jason Douglas schrieb:

What kind of startup file is this? Could you send it to me?

i used the following startup file to do an update with the OpenSUSE 11.1
DVD. The DVD was available via /dev/sr0. This file was created by me
after watching vm-installer created configuration files for installing a
DomU from DVD media.

name="test"
uuid="d3fd1172-3738-6c8d-330a-74b94a55a697"
memory=384
maxmem=384
vcpus=1
on_poweroff="destroy"
on_reboot="destroy"
on_crash="destroy"
localtime=0
keymap="de"
builder="linux"
kernel="/tmp/kernel.xen"
ramdisk="/tmp/initrd.xen"
extra=" install=hd:/dev/xvdy "
root="/dev/xvda"
disk=[ 'phy:/dev/domX/daolin_root,xvda,w'
, 'phy:/dev/domX/daolin_boot,xvdb,w'
, 'phy:/dev/domX/daolin_usr,xvdc,w'
, 'phy:/dev/domX/daolin_opt,xvdd,w'
, 'phy:/dev/domX/daolin_var,xvde,w'
, 'phy:/dev/domX/daolin_src,xvdf,w'
, 'phy:/dev/domX/daolin_tmp,xvdg,w'
, 'phy:/dev/data/home,xvdh,w'
, 'phy:/dev/data/foto,xvdi,w'
, 'phy:/dev/data/imap,xvdj,w'
, 'phy:/dev/data/news,xvdk,w'
, 'phy:/dev/data/squid,xvdl,w'
, 'phy:/dev/data/srv,xvdm,w'
, 'phy:/dev/hda1,xvdn,w'
, 'phy:/dev/backup/backup,xvdo,w'
, 'phy:/dev/sr0,xvdy:cdrom,r'
, 'phy:/dev/sr1,xvdz:cdrom,r']
vif=['mac=00:16:3e:35:55:5f']
vfb=['type=vnc,vncunused=1']

What happens is: The usual install appears in vncviewer. A new
installation shows all the disks without any partitions and tries to
install on /dev/xvdo (partioning it into two partitions). However when
choosing updating an existing system, nothing is shown in the list of
devices.

I haven't tried this scenario with an upgrade from os11.0 to 11.1, but
when I have seen this before, I was always able to manually select the
partition to upgrade (even though they weren't displayed on the main
update page). What happens when you try this?

how could i do this? Shouldn´t be there an option to manually define the
root device where to lookup for a /etc/fstab. I didn´t find such an option.

You should be able to do everything you need to from within the domU.
Other than config file modifications, you shouldn't have to do any
mounting in dom0. In fact, I have seen instances where lvm volumes were
getting auto-mounted in 11.1 dom0 which was causing endless problems for
my VMs.

can i do an update from 11.0 to 11.1 from within the running 11.0 domU?
I thought this kind of update is only possible if the system is not running.

Greeting, Jörg