[opensuse-virtual] thinking about consolidating
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 15:21:08 +0200
Guys,

I'm slowly beginning to consider a consolidation of several
small-to-medium sized Intel servers onto one large box - maybe a Sun
Fire. The idea would be to move my current physical servers on to
virtual servers running on a highly reliable system.

I've currently got a total of 16 CPUs and roughly 24Gb RAM. These
systems are not maxed out at all, although I do have one database
system on an 8-CPU box running pretty hot.

The advantages of moving to a single box are obvious - less power, less
cooling and less space needed. I was thinking about a 4 x quad core
Xeons with 16 or 24Gb RAM.
What are the disadvantages of such a consolidation? One seems to be that
any hardware upgrade/replacement means all servers are down, not just
one. This could presumably be overcome by having a 2nd box with the
same config - can Xen-based virtual systems be easily/quickly migrated
from one box to another?
Another disadvantage I can see is scalability - with my current setup,
it's no big deal adding another 1CPU box, it's only a matter of rack
space. That's not quite so easy with one large box instead.

Has anyone already gone through such considerations?

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich