Re: [opensuse-virtual] Xen 3.2 and 3.1 host crash when installing Windows 2000 SP4 ?
  • From: Willem Meens <opensuse-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 13:50:41 +0200
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply. Starting Xen 3.1 it's said the mem setting is not
problematic anymore, but it did give it a go to see if it would
help... :) No luck though.

I've now done two things that seem to have fixed the issue:

1) Latest BIOS update from dell (my test system at home is a Dell
Optiplex 740) - there where no specific issues mentioned in the bios
version release notes, but who knows...

2) In the BIOS I've changed some settings;
- disabled no execute protection (TPM or something it is called)
- floppy device was set to usb, i have no floppy on the machine so i've
set it to off.
- video memory was set to 16MB, i've set this to auto and as extra also
forced video card choice to ' onboard' instead of auto.

Currently I'm having 2 windows installs run (1 windows 2000 server and 1
2003 server ) along with a SLES 10 paravirtual install, it now all runs
smoothly - no hiccup no host reboot! Pause/Resume and starting another
vm all goes as it should. This is how Xen is meant to be!! :)~

´╗┐My gut feeling says the no execute protection was probably the one
giving me the issue or maybe the BIOS update did help...
I'll revert and give that setting a test when my setups have finished
running.

Curious to see if there is a similar setting on the Dell PowerEdge
server I mentioned that also has the windows 2000 setup issue.. but
won't be going there soon (not in the next three weeks anyway).

Again, thanks for you suggestion and help!

Cheers,
Wj