Re: [opensuse-virtual] Problems with Xen-installation resp. configuration
  • From: gildo.rex@xxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 16:58:42 +0200
Hi Andrew,

thanks for your answer!

I think that the problem you have encountered is that the single CD
of OpenSUSE 10.3 doesn't contain the paravirtualised kernel.

Do I get this right, that I cannot install a paravirtualized guest from the CD,
but I can install a Xen-Server from the CD?

In my testing of Xen, I've got around this by using an ISO image of
the installation DVD, or (for a very convenient solution), I've set
up an installation server, which will allow you to use an HTTP
installation source for network installations. The instructions are
here:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Installation_Server
(although I have used a SLES machine as installation server on my
network).
If you are using an installation source for Xen, you do not need to
use a mini installation CD (which would be needed to install on a
physical machine), you would just need to specify the network
installation source in the following format:
http://server_hostname_or_IP/install/10.3/CD1
You would need to specify the appropriate hostname or IP address (of
course), and "install" is the directory alias that you specify during
the setup of the installation server. 10.3 is the source name of the
product, which you set up when loading the data from the ISO images -
don't forget the trailing /CD1 (it won't find the installation files
without it).
The only other thing to watch is that when creating an installation
source it will ask you to change CDs even if you have given it all
the files that it will need (perhaps from a DVD ISO image). When that
happens, just press cancel - the source will have been configured
successfully.
I hope that helps,

Thanks for that detailed instruction, but as I am not am Linux-Expert and that
installation is just the way to my actual aim, I'd like to keep it as simple as
possible.
If I got everything right, it would help, if I'd just use the DVD instead of
the CD, right?

Kind regards

Stephan