Re: [opensuse-translation] The state of translations
  • From: jcsl <trcs@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 19:11:54 +0200
Hi.

El miércoles, 3 de julio de 2019 16:12:09 (CEST) Ancor Gonzalez Sosa escribió:
On 7/3/19 12:41 PM, jcsl wrote:
Hi.

El domingo, 30 de junio de 2019 0:08:25 (CEST) Sarah Julia Kriesch
escribió:
Unfortunately, the Spanish translations haven't been updated since a
long
time. Last update request dates back to January 2019.
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2019-01/msg00004.html

We have been receiving updates for openSUSE Leap 15.1 since January 2019.
Were you able to translate that all? Or what has been missing?

I, as a translator too, have two doubts about translations:
I can only answer regarding YaST. I guess is actually different for
different parts of the distribution.

1) How often are the sources in Weblate updated?

Every single day at 2:24 AM (Central European Time).

It seems to me that some
translation files in Weblate are outdated given that I haven't been able
find some strings in the recent past (the already mentioned "abort"
string,
for example).

As already mentioned (although I pasted the wrong link in my original
mail), that string is in yast-base. Here is the right link:
https://l10n.opensuse.org/projects/yast-base/master/

These lines are for the corresponding yast-base-es.po file that I just

downloaded from Weblate:
msgid "Abo&rt"
msgstr "Aborta&r"

msgid "Abo&rt Installation"
msgstr "Aborta&r la instalación"

Those msgid has been there for ages.

So let me state it for the second time in this thread: the source files
for YaST translations are always up-to-date. We have automation in place
to ensure that.

Ok. I've found them now. I'm sure I searched the string before and I was not
able to find it. It seems that Weblate doesn't ignore the ampersand in the
strings, but I'm almost sure I did search substrings too. I don't understand
how could I have failed to find the strings. I've also found now some other
strings I was not able to find before. Go figure...

2) How often are translations actually included in Tumbleweed updates? I
mention Tumbleweed because is what I'm using. I think that there's no
movement until a new Leap version reaches the translation stage. Could
someone clarify this? I do see yast's translation packages updated now
and then, but it looks like a rebuild of the packages because I can't
spot changes I made weeks or months ago.

That's something you can easily verify here
https://build.opensuse.org/package/revisions/openSUSE:Factory/yast2-trans

It looks to me like it's updated once a month.

I see things I translated six months ago that are not included in Tumbleweed.
For example,

https://l10n.opensuse.org/projects/packages-i18n/yast2-master/es/

is almost 100% translated, but the descriptions in YaST/zypper are still in
English¹. I think that there are more translations in packages-i18n taking
quite some time to be included in Tumbleweed's updates. I haven't used Weblate
lately so I can't remember what was I working on last time. Not related to
YaST, I filed the bug report #1055248 on 2017-08-23, it was closed on
2018-11-13, and it was published only a few days ago. The package was already
translated before I filed the bug report. The difference in the inclusion of
the updates is what led me to ask the question.

Cheers.

Greetings.

[1] https://paste.opensuse.org/view//67695127