Re: [opensuse-translation] Other translations
  • From: "Sarah Julia Kriesch" <ada.lovelace@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 17:39:12 +0200

Gesendet: Freitag, 29. September 2017 um 09:32 Uhr
Von: "Vojtěch Zeisek" <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
An: opensuse-translation@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] Other translations

Look at https://languages.opensuse.org/Help:Translation#Portals The list
seems to be outdated. Obviously it is. Yes, I can edit it, but I don't
know how this process (creation and maintenance of multilingual oS Wiki)
is organized and the page then seems to be abandoned. I.e. if I'd edit
it, it might be useless as nobody could care, as seen by non-existing
maintenance of the Wiki page...

That isn't outdated, because you can see only examples there. We have so
many Portals that you can't list all there. If you want to have changes
there, that would be a topic for the Wiki mailing list. Let's discuss it
there not here.

Well, sort of. I'd see it as a guideline where to start... No?
You can see it as a guidline where to start. You should be able to understand
our wiki structure.
After that you can use "Most popular portals" under
https://en.opensuse.org/Main_Page for starting with most important portals.
Subscribe every translated page and you receive notifications about updates.

If you have new ideas, you can contribute that on the wiki mailinglist.
We are on the wrong mailinglist here.

I'd guess everything related to translations is discussed here...? :-)

Öhmmm...
No. We discuss the Translation here, not the wiki stuff. We are translating all
what is integrated into software.
The documentation team isn't subscribed on this mailinglist.
If you want to contribute to documentation or the wiki, you have to ask on the
other mailinglist.

Just in case there would be some volunteer. ;-) How it is done, when
new version is released?

There is a message on the wiki mailinglist that a new Leap portal exist and
the wiki translation can begin. I write a "Call for Translations" to this
mailinglist and the new Leap translation starts on Weblate. That should be
some time before "new version is released"...

This is all right, of course. I didn't have any doubts here. OK, it's not a
discussion for this ML, but I was wondering about the workflow how new
version
of the documentation is created. How do they trace what is going to be
upgraded? Things like that of course help work. But until there is some
workflow for translations, it's not very important...

You'll need the documentation team for those discussions. They are on the wiki
mailinglist and not here. :-)
We are open, but the documentation team isn't part of the translation team.

What about other tools and web applications? Do they have
support/possibility of being translated? If so, how? Are there any
other projects to be translated (not hosted on Weblate)?

We are using Desktops like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, LXDE,...
We are using translations from their projects. So you contribute to
openSUSE, if you translate on https://l10n.kde.org/ as an example, too. I
receive a list with not finished translated (but needed) translations in
the release management team every year. That will be forwarded to this
mailinglist, too. I don't have to do it, if we have a complete translated
KDE. :-)

Of course, but it's not openSUSE's issue, isn't it? :-)

I believe you want to have openSUSE with a full translated desktop (or default
desktops should be translated).
Many customers would write us bugs if anything wouldn't be translated in the
GUI. That's the reason for testing it.
If any important part (for us) is missing in any language, we are doing this
job, too. Other Linux distributions are doing the same with their default
desktops.
Many openSUSE Contributors are KDE Contributors or amywhere else, too.

Best regards,
Sarah