Re: [opensuse-translation] Other translations
Dne pátek 29. září 2017 9:01:55 CEST, Sarah Julia Kriesch napsal(a):
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 27. September 2017 um 09:48 Uhr
Von: "Vojtěch Zeisek" <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
An: opensuse-translation@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] Other translations

Everybody can contribute to the wiki. We don't have any special

So how is the consistency kept then? I don't wont to drive the discussion
to the Wiki solely, but this is obvious question to emerge...

Wiki maintainers can subscribe special pages in the English wiki they want
to translate to their own language. So they receive update notifications
that they have to update their own page.

OK

Look at https://languages.opensuse.org/Help:Translation#Portals The list
seems to be outdated. Obviously it is. Yes, I can edit it, but I don't
know how this process (creation and maintenance of multilingual oS Wiki)
is organized and the page then seems to be abandoned. I.e. if I'd edit
it, it might be useless as nobody could care, as seen by non-existing
maintenance of the Wiki page...

That isn't outdated, because you can see only examples there. We have so
many Portals that you can't list all there. If you want to have changes
there, that would be a topic for the Wiki mailing list. Let's discuss it
there not here.

Well, sort of. I'd see it as a guideline where to start... No?

Yes. As one-time task it can work. But as far as I know, there are no
traces of changes regarding state of translations. If something is
changed in the English original, how to easily see which corresponding
translated section needs to be updated in other languages?

Every wiki page has a change log. You can watch it with clicking above on
History. Additional to that you can receive change mails, if you subscribe
the wiki page after adding anything to the English wiki. You'll receive
more support on the wiki mailinglist...

OK, thank You for clarification and explanation.

Are there any plans/possibilities to translate
https://doc.opensuse.org/ ?

doc.opensuse.org is part of the SUSE documentation team. You can create
Pull Requests with contributions on github
(https://github.com/SUSE/doc-sle). You would need additional tools for
translations. We had a long discussion>

This is no-way. It is written in DocBook, isn't it? Me, personally, after
HTML and TEX I'm not going for this new syntax, which is otherwise
useless for me. And unless there are PO files and some tools to help
keeping track how much is translated and so on (compare with Weblate), it
is not user-friendly for translators. They wish to comfortably translate
and use software they are familiar with (and use also for other tasks),
not to "fight" with special technical tools.

about our different tools at openSUSE:
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-wiki/2017-01/msg00005.html If you
want

I'm not sure I fully got sense of that, but I'd highlight this particular
message https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-wiki/2016-12/msg00034.html

to contribute to documentation (translation), you should contribute to
the wiki. That's easy to use and should be updated continously. My
recommendation: Subscribe the wiki mailinglist!

Wiki is documentation? Well, what is https://doc.opensuse.org/ then? ;-)
This always bit confused me and You did not make it clear. :-) I like
doc.o.o as it is really valuable source of information, but with current
methods I don't see possibility of it to being translated.
Well, we don't have any volunteer to start to translate tomorrow, but if
there is no tool to comfortably handle translations, there will be no
one...

So it is...
doc.opensuse.org is the job of the SUSE documetation team at the moment. The
community doesn't contribute there. Christian and I try to improve this
problem. We have introduced the github extension for the wiki. So we can
receive upstream documentation from github in our wiki on an easy way.

OK, good to know. Thank You for the effort.

If you have new ideas, you can contribute that on the wiki mailinglist.
We are on the wrong mailinglist here.

I'd guess everything related to translations is discussed here...? :-)

Just in case there would be some volunteer. ;-) How it is done, when
new version is released?

There is a message on the wiki mailinglist that a new Leap portal exist and
the wiki translation can begin. I write a "Call for Translations" to this
mailinglist and the new Leap translation starts on Weblate. That should be
some time before "new version is released"...

This is all right, of course. I didn't have any doubts here. OK, it's not a
discussion for this ML, but I was wondering about the workflow how new version
of the documentation is created. How do they trace what is going to be
upgraded? Things like that of course help work. But until there is some
workflow for translations, it's not very important...

What about other tools and web applications? Do they have
support/possibility of being translated? If so, how? Are there any
other projects to be translated (not hosted on Weblate)?

We are using Desktops like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, LXDE,...
We are using translations from their projects. So you contribute to
openSUSE, if you translate on https://l10n.kde.org/ as an example, too. I
receive a list with not finished translated (but needed) translations in
the release management team every year. That will be forwarded to this
mailinglist, too. I don't have to do it, if we have a complete translated
KDE. :-)

Of course, but it's not openSUSE's issue, isn't it? :-)

Good. I'd strongly prefer any other new project to be translated to be
available in Weblate. It's easy to use tool.

You are right. If you have ideas for improvement something with tools for
documentation, forward it on the wiki list, please.
--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux