Re: [opensuse-translation] Weblate upgrade planned (several days outage expected)
Sarah Julia Kriesch wrote:

1) You can do the migration during the working week. Most translotors
are working then and want to translate during the weekend.

Keeping weekends on-line was my intention as well.

2) We wait for the release day of Leap. If Stanislav wants to use a
special version of Weblate, he can download it now. Generally open
source projects have got a download page with a list with all released
(old) versions. He can use it, too.

I always wanted to use the latest version. But SLE12 (SP1) was not a
good decision for Weblate. It lacks too many packages, backporting them
took many time, and often failed.

It caused delay in regular updates. It not only became outdated, running
an unsupported weblate version on an unsupported OS. It is so old
version that the migration to the new version is even not supported! We
have to use intermediate upgrade to succeed.

Now we finally have a working packages for Leap 42.2 and we also solved
all migration problems. Everything compiles, upgrade succeeds with a
special process on a testing copy of the current L10N snapshot, no data
is lost.

Another question about the migration migration process: What is the
reason for the change from mysql to postgresql?

Postgres is the main development platform of Weblate. We are probably
the only large instance of Weblate using MariaDB and Apache.

Also openSUSE infrastructure people prefer postgres, as it already
serves large part of the infrastructure.

That will be a difficult change. Postgres isn't the same and I was
allowed to repair such a database in the last year. I believe, you will
have such problems during the migration, too.

Hopefully, Weblate is a Django application, and most database
differences are hidden behind Django.

We already performed the change on a testing instance, and everything
worked.

We met only technical problems in this migration:

- Current Django migration tools import the whole database into the
memory. It requires about 32 GB RAM or swap.

- Some tables are dependent on other tables. These have to be created in
a correct order in a destination database.

But "Thank you for the upgrade in the future! The change management
process sounds really good."

We tried the migration process on a L10N snapshot many times before I
was able to send this mail.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec