Re: [opensuse-translation] Unable to fix translations in zypper/master for Dutch
  • From: "Sarah Julia Kriesch" <ada.lovelace@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 17:11:36 +0200
Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for those news!

It is a little bit strange that they need a full control. But we can start with
other translations, too.

Best regards,
Sarah

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 24. Mai 2017 um 18:17 Uhr
Von: "Stanislav Brabec" <sbrabec@xxxxxxx>
An: "Sarah Julia Kriesch" <ada.lovelace@xxxxxx>
Cc: opensuse-translation@xxxxxxxxxxxx, "Freek de Kruijf" <freek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] Unable to fix translations in
zypper/master for Dutch

Microfocus translation team asked us for locking of zypper and libzypp
for the period of translation of SLE12 SP3.

As there is a single code base for both openSUSE (and currently for YaST
and ZYPP even for both Leap and Tumbleweed) and SUSE Linux Enterprise
Service Pack 3 (SLE12 SP3), and managers requested full control of
strings in supported languages of enterprise products (to prevent
inferior or even offensive translations), I found no better style of
work than assigning contracted translators as temporary mandatory
reviewers, and allow others to make suggestions.

If you see an error, please make a suggestion (there is even possible to
upload the whole fixed po file as a set of suggestions).

Ideally, both Leap 42.3 and SLE12 SP3 should have the same code and the
same strings.

If these suggestions will not be processed in time, or you will not
agree with reviewers, I can forward you complaint to the Microfocus
translation coordinators.

Starting with SUSE Linux Enterprise 15, we want to unify translation of
all packages across products (i. e. enterprise products should use the
same translation as the current community one; see suggestions by "SLE
Merge Robot" in Weblate). So it is very important to tune this process
now, when we have only two locked packages.

Next version of Weblate will have a language team reviewers feature. I
can imagine that respected community members will have a permanent
commit privilege, and juniors will have commit privilege only during
development period.
https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/issues/867

I can even imagine rolling translations: Translation from any registered
member will immediately appear in Tumbleweed, but these will be marked
as "unapproved", and before release of Leap / SUSE Linux Enterprise, all
strings will have to be either approved or excluded. This feature is
currently just an idea. https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/issues/1073