Re: [opensuse-translation] migrating translations off svn.opensuse.org
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:44:38 +0200
assist with the task but it is impossible to assign anything to anyone
on the page you mentioned. So, let's try mail consult =)
Hmm, looks like redmine doesn't make things easy in that regard. I've
added you to the project. Is is possible now?
Yes, looks possible.

I'm not sure we want to run such things on l10n.opensuse.org
directly but we can find a place of course.
Where are those scripts running at the moment?
Well, scripts are stored in svn, but I run them manually on my laptop
and then merge and commit the resut to svn with another helper script.
Then, coolo was running his own scripts/casting spells/whatever to
build the translated descriptions out of po files, I am not aware of
what and how exactly, but it wasn't happening for some decent time
now. I was thinking about running those scripts on i18n.opensuse.org
instance several days before the information about killing
svn.opensuse.org arrived.

Ah, ok. I see potential of automation there :-)
To have the translations merged into the product metadata this package
has to be updated AFAICS:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:Factory/package-translations

Should be easy to use an obs _service file to directly pull from git
once the data is migrated.

Btw, with the trend to build appstore style package management
front-ends the rpm description is no longer shown AFAIK. Appstream
metadata is used instead which is part of the package source.

For weblate all we need is some git repo where pot and po files are
stored basically. So the minimal work needed would be to adjust the
scripts to work with git instead of svn.
Are you saying that it will be enough to create openSUSE-packages repo
on github and push there? or a subrepo under openSUSE project?

Yes. Weblate will then hook into the repo and update the po files.

[...]
Also, what about yast translations? For me it was the first and most
obvious candidate for migration.

I'll have to talk to Karl about that when he is back in the office.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel