Re: [opensuse-translation] Weblate, Leap, tumbleweed and what is pulled from where
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 13:27:09 +0100
Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
Ludwig Nussel skreiv 22. mars 2016 12:48:
Sure. Do you know what the plans are for actually updating the
translation files *available for translation* in Weblate? Will there
be some script doing this, or will we still be depending on the
developers manually doing this?

That depends on the software. The majority of sources are hosted on
github nowadays (like zypp, website etc). Weblate will automatically
pick up any pot file changes there and push back po files more or
less immediately. So chances that translations run out of sync get
minimized.

I don’t think that’s correct. Yes, Weblate will pick up any PO/POT
file changes and push back PO files automatically, but that doesn’t
help PO/POT files aren’t actually being updated. Whenever there is a
change in the source code, someone (or something) still have to
*update* the POT files (and merge the PO files with the POT files),

I'd consider updating the POT file part of the developer's job.
Autotools for example provides targets to do that. Making sure
translations are up to date could be part of the test suite or
travis ci. If there's a project that regularly doesn't update POT
files even though the sources contain string changes I'd file a bug
report to have the developers implement the required triggers into
the build tools.

For svn.o.o the developer has to additionally put the pot file
somewhere else which is unusual and not integrated into build tools.
Therefore easily forgotten. So getting rid of that extra step
already solves the bigger hassle from the developer's PoV.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel