Re: [opensuse-translation] Leap/SLE translations pushed to Tumbleweed?
On 2016-03-10 16:24, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

I think it's safe to say that noone is happy with the current
situation. We need to do something about it and that most likely
means some compromise for all involved parties.
In the specific case of zypper for example I have a hard time
understanding why it's translations are on svn.o.o rather than right
in the source repo on github in a po subdirectory next to the code.
Ie like pretty much any other upstream project. If translations were
there it would be pretty clear which ones are used and where
contributions have to go. No matter whether done by paid translators
or volunteers.

On all the upstream projects where I participate, translators have no
access to the source tree. That's only for developers.

For instance, with the "Translation Project"
(http://translationproject.org/), developers submit the .pot file in a
manner I don't know to a centralized server for all translated projects
in the "Translation Project", and from there, a robot mails notices to
the translators. These pick the files from that server (we have read
access to this one, not write), translate them, and submit them via
email robot back to the server. I suppose the robot sends an email to
the devs to pick it up.

Translation is only done once the developers submit a release, not for
work in progress (would be similar to factory).

Check how KDE team work (upstream). I will not describe it, as I don't
work there, but they have directories where all files are stored for
translation. Other people here can describe the process (I think
somebody did, not very long ago).

You see, the separation in a different server that centralizes
translation work is normal.

As a translator, I can not go navigating a zillion directories to find
files to translate. A coder normally works in the scope of a project,
say "zypper". There he sees many *.c files, say, and works in some of
them. I suppose. But a translator works in the scope of many different
and separate programs, say "KDE", where he will see many *.pot and *.po
files, one per package or program typically.

I need them centralized. It doesn't matter to me much what is the method
or engine that does the centralization. I need a single directory, at
most a few, in which I can see at a glance work to be done. If there is
a team of translators, I also need something to assign and control who
does what file.

If you want to change that methodology round, ok go ahead. But if me
doesn't like it or feel comfortable with the new method, I won't be able
to work with it. Nor will I be able to instruct others on how to
proceed. Others may work with the new method, of course, and instruct
others in turn. But this is what has not happened, at least on the
Spanish team, and I'm afraid nobody is translating leap nor tumbleweed.
Please do not blame me: I asked other people to go ahead. I'm only the
messenger, the relator.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >
List Navigation
Follow Ups