Re: [opensuse-translation] Leap/SLE translations pushed to Tumbleweed?
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 15:47:08 +0100
On 07.03.2016 14:04, Alexander Melentev wrote:
Hi Stephan,

I can confirm Antoine's problem descriptions for Russian also, a lot
of SLE translations were made using machine translation some years ago
and also merged to openSUSE. I've joined openSUSE-i18n a few days
before 11.0 release and all these years were spent in wiping
out/fixing/polishing those strange translations. Currently I have
thousands of differences and I can hardly imagine reporting them all.
It looks like other languages have similar problems: we can't push our
translations to SLE, cause there is another team with their own
translations, but we cannot accept SLE translations to openSUSE, cause
of lower quality. Currently it looks like SLE is considered as a
better source of translations while it is not (well, at least for
French and Russian, but probably for some other languages also). Maybe
it makes sense to prefer openSUSE-i18n over SLE or build separate lang
packages with community translations for Leap, so that users can
select what is better for them? Cause even if we all somehow agree on
fixing all the translations, it is a huge work which will take a lot
of time.

Hi Alexander,

That sounds severe indeed. The main reason we can't just throw away the
SLE translations is that the SLE translators also translate the manuals
and having the tools and the documentation in sync is very valuable to
customers. Now if the documentation also uses this machine translation
way you describe, it makes you wonder how useful the Russian manual is ;(

But as I said previously: if the problem with our translations is so
bad, we need to fix it for real. Not just hide it for Tumbleweed. So
it's great we're having this discussion, because I'm certain in the end
we will see a solution that will please all Russian (open)SUSE users.

Greetings, Stephan