Re: [opensuse-translation] How to translate patterns in YaST software manager?
Den 20. nov. 2015 15:49, Alexander Melentev skreiv:
Why split them at all? Just have one ‘packages.pot’ file. The translation
>software we use (Lokalize and poEdit) have no problems handling large
>translation files (e.g. 50,000 strings).
Also I can hardly imagine how to split the translations tasks between
several people while having one huge file.

It shouldn’t be *too* difficult if you have good communication (which you’ll need even if the file was split) and use poediff and poepatch. But I see your point. :)

Right now my intention is to split out
several meaningful package groups to ease the distinction of what is
inside and what to translate. For example, leave patterns in a
separate file for quicker translation. Or have perl*, php*, python*
and texlive* split out so that their translations can be postponed due
to the specifics of target audience.

I don’t have a problem with such logical splitting of the translation. Actually, I think it’s a rather good idea.

The same is true for libraries (lib* not including libreoffice).

This I’m not so happy about. I think the lib- (and devel-) strings should should stay with the packages they belong to. Then it’s much easier to ensure consistent terminology.

I am open to suggestions about other package groups that can be split
out to ease the translations.

rubygem-*, ghc-*, python3-*, gnome-*, libreoffice-*, myspell-*, …?

Running the following in the packages folder (containing the .pot) file gives some more suggestions

grep -h summary$ * | cut -f2 -d/ | cut -f1 -d- | sort | uniq -c | sort -n

Perhaps groups (as defined by the above command) with more than 100 packages?

Old splitting was done by number of packages, so string movement was
possible at every update/merge. Right now the splitting is by name, so
from-fi-to-file transitions are possible only on package rename, which
doesn't happen too often.

Yes, splitting by name should be fine.

Karl Ove Hufthammer