Re: [opensuse-translation] How to translate patterns in YaST software manager?
On 28.10.2015 11:17, Alexander Melentev wrote:
Are we (community translators) expected to translate also this leap
branch?

Only if you want translated package summary and descriptions (including
patterns).
Actually, that's the very basic reason we translate something at all:
we want to see it localized =) Do the packages lists in Leap and
Tumbleweed differ that much to create a separate branch? I expect a
reasonably small list of unique messages, so maybe it could make more
sense to add a separate file of those differences to trunk rather than
creating a separate almost identical branch just for Leap packages
(cause it will require the manual messages syncing from translators).

That would be cool, but I lack the time to do that properly - so I
created a branch
Sure, that's understandable. But as a matter of fact we can do it for
you, cause we mess with translation files all the time and you have
other things to do. If you wish we will handle the translation files
in a way which is more comfortable for translators.
The only thing we miss in this case is actual knowledge about
procedures of getting the latest package descriptions and pushing
translations for actual usage. Does it require access to some internal
resources or it can be established for community translators also? I
know it should be technically possible after I got an account on
i18n.opensuse.org instance.
With some guidance from your side we could make each other's lifes easier :)

No, it's all in 50-tools - and Marguerite touched it before, so it's
possible ,)

These scripts fetch the package data from download.opensuse.org and
split the extracted strings.

Greetings, Stephan

OK, so I messed with the scripts you mentioned and got some
interesting results. I found only two patterns which differ between
Leap and Tumbleweed.

TW has:
#. description(patterns-openSUSE:patterns-openSUSE-mate)
msgid "The MATE desktop environment is a desktop environment using
traditional metaphors."
#. description(patterns-openSUSE:patterns-openSUSE-mate_internet)
msgid "MATE Internet Applications."

And Leap has:
#. description(patterns-openSUSE:patterns-openSUSE-mate)
msgid "The MATE desktop environment is a desktop environment using
traditional metaphors"
#. description(patterns-openSUSE:patterns-openSUSE-mate_internet)
msgid "MATE Internet Applications"

The only difference I see is trailing dots in TW. So if either of the
sources will be fixed to match another one, then all patterns will be
identical between TW and Leap.
So there is not much practical sense in creating a separate branch to
translate identical content. However, there are still 3K Leap specific
messages.
--
Regards, Minton.