Re: [opensuse-translation] [Leap 42.1] Release Notes French Translation
  • From: Vojtěch Zeisek <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 16:52:18 +0100
On 2015-11-04 16:15, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:
Which are the repositories corresponding to the current svn yast
and lcn? A single directory or two, please, I can't go searching
for files all over the place.

E.g. https://l10n.opensuse.org/projects/release-notes-opensuse/
says https://github.com/openSUSE/release-notes-openSUSE ...

But that is a single file. lcn contains 43, yast 96. And there are
13.1, 13.2, TW, Leap versions. How do I find all of them?

In this case, yes. I haven't checked, but aren't lcn files in one repository?
If not, it would be our feature request to have sort of „metarepository“ for
translations. I went only through projects already presented in
https://l10n.opensuse.org/ and as far as I understand, except solving bugs
etc, it should be enough to work with trunk, or not? Yes, let's not re-open
here the documentation topic.

If You don't have it, You can ask maintainer to get it.
Otherwise You can fork the repository
https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo and clone it

Sorry, I don't understand any of that.

OK, basically, there is no difference in purpose and basic logic of
SVN and Git. If You wish to edit someone's else repository, You
must make Your own copy (=fork it), modify it and then ask owner of
original repository to include Your changes (=create pull request).
Have You tried to learn Git? If You refuse Git, what is wrong with
download/upload po files over web? If any possibility fits Your
needs, then, I'm sorry, I'm unable to help You...

The problem is how you organize the translation files. They have to be
all in a single directory, a single repo.

Not necessary, but of course convenient. Well, if someone (from SUSE) would be
so kind to write simple BASH script to check for all the repositories, it
would also be enough. I don't feel enough oriented in the structure yet...

We only needed two commands for svn: up, and commit. Nothing
else. Browse to the directory holding all the lcn po files, and
do "svn commit --message "arbitrary comment". That's all.
Copypaste a command.

Less features, less commands... It is like to complain about
changes when moving from Windows Notepad to real text editor, at
least KWrite. For some purposes Notepad is enough. But in some
point it is not anymore. Basic usage is also more or less same,
although the latter has more possibilities what to do... So what is
the big difference between SVN and Git?

I'm too old a dog to start learning new tricks on my own.

Everyone is becoming lazier, me too. :-) This wasn't big challenge, thought.

# Initial clone of the repository git clone
https://github.com/openSUSE/release-notes-openSUSE.git work, edit,
... git pull # get newest changes from the repository git checkout
# see which files are changed git add ... # select modified files
for commit, use TAB git commit -m "Some description" git push
origin master # send Your changes Is it really too complicated over
the old SVN? Note it is common practice to abandon SVN in favor of
Git. openSUSE is not reinventing wheel... It took me one afternoon
to learn basic usage when I needed to...

Yes, no problem with that. The problem is the organization.
Translators are not developers, we work differently and we have
different skill sets. We can not start creating repositories. We
simply need to be told of a single directory (or two or three) to use.
With proper separation for the supported releases.

Yes, I also rather spend time by doing the work than by figuring how to do
it... I don't wont argue on that point. Timing was not very lucky, but I see
progress so I hope we will have needed information ASAP...
Sincerely,
V.

--
Vojtěch Zeisek