Re: [opensuse-translation] slideshow.pot outdated
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 16:31:15 +0200
On 18 October 2015 at 16:22, Carlos E.R. <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 18/10/2015 16:11, Richard Brown wrote:

There is probably no trunk for Leap because there are no independent
packages for Leap - everything either comes from SLE, or Tumbleweed

No. Trunk, in the translator team parlance, means "factory". There can be no
trunk for Leap or any other release. Each release has its own branch, named
after the release: 11.4, 12.3, 13.1, 13.2, trunk...

Possible hacks are to use trunk for leap temporarily, as you suggest, but
this can confuse things a lot, or to create a Leap branch on our svn. Yes, I
can probably do that, but I can't populate it with the right files.

What is the point of a separate trunk for Leap, when the packages for
Leap are all coming from Tumbleweed/"factory"?

In the old days, it made sense, because we were doing the following

Split from Factory -> Create 'Release Project' (aka openSUSE:13.2) ->
Freeze 'Release Project', no automatic pulling from Factory any more,
only accept submissions from Devel Projects -> Have packages submitted
to that 'Release Project', such as translations

So, when you marry up the concept of translators trunks, and this
process, sure, makes sense, you needed to have your own trunk for each
release so everyone knew where those translations were targeted for

Now the process is totally different

Release Project was created Empty - openSUSE:Leap:42.1 -> No 'freeze'
in the traditional sense -> Packages pulled from SLE and Tumbleweed
based on maintainer request -> No packages expected from Devel
Projects

In this scenario, I really think the need for separate translator
'trunks' is redundant - the packager (a customer of your translations)
is just going to have to follow the exact same steps whether they were
putting the translations into Tumbleweed or Leap..might as well keep
it all in trunk and save them some effort

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding the entire process from both
sides..but I pretty much doubt that, think I'm getting a pretty good
handle on this translation thing now.. really enjoying using Weblate
to improve the en_GB translations.. ;)