That's only one possible approach and I totally respect translators that
only want to work on releases. But it's also possible to have
translators that want to translate (or adapt) new strings as soon as
they appear (or are modified). Strings actually change very little
during the development process since developers are not rephrasing the
application messages every other day.

So in my opinion, Tumbleweed can be translated.

By the way, the process description is the ideal one.
I want to add 2 more parameters.
1. Merging po file with pot file that has changed is something that a
translator don't know how to do it.
2. For quality translations, the file should pass a review before
submit to the system. Unfortunately, that's not something we usually
do and maybe some translations aren't as good as we expect.

Translators have to know the local language very good and then
English. Sometimes translating from English to local (for me Greek) it
doesn't make sense and usually we have to change sentences. An example
is the landing page. Although in English looks great, translation in
Greek isn't the best and we were told we should change it to something
that make sense. Unfortunately, we didn't review before go live.

By the way, don't judge someone from the @ their mail address. Some
use it for hipster reason, other because it's something they use
everyday and others to filter the messages they receive.

Have phun,
/S