  • From: jcsl <trcs@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 09:50:10 +0200
On 2015-10-12 18:14, Martin Schlander wrote:

[...]

Notice the important detail: the translator works on finished versions
of the code, not on transient versions - which is why Factory can not
be translated.

That's only one possible approach and I totally respect translators that
only want to work on releases. But it's also possible to have
translators that want to translate (or adapt) new strings as soon as
they appear (or are modified). Strings actually change very little
during the development process since developers are not rephrasing the
application messages every other day.

So in my opinion, Tumbleweed can be translated.

Cheers.

Hi.

Tumbleweed should be translated. A half baked or nonexistent translation gives
quite a bad impression of the product and users complain about it frequently.
I worked for sometime on Tumbleweed's translation until I discovered that was
I was doing didn't get anywhere and was a complete waste of time. In addition,
fixed translations for the stable versions took to long to get published
because of the process being done manually. Even the installer was broken for
more than a month due a translation bug. But, being it a manual process
there's no one to blame, people must have the time to perform the update.

So, as long as the translation get its way to users quickly, I have a 99.9%
certainty they will, and I can download the files to be translated (I don't
like web tools for that), I don't care what the used system is.

From my point of view, the problem here is a communication problem. Things
developed "secretly" (à la TTIP) without first asking and discussing the
subject with the involved parts for the benefit of all. We are a community,
aren't we? So transparency and communication are fundamental pillars.

Greetings.