  • From: Alexander Melentev <minton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 20:11:47 +0300

10. října 2015 15:22:07 CEST, Alexander Melentev <minton@xxxxxxxxxxxx> napsal:
Can somebody please explain why was some translations
(/trunk/lcn/50-pot) migrated to openSUSE Weblate?
What does this mean for us?
FMPOV, for us that means that nobody is actually interested in our
opinion, nobody cares for our established workflow and nobody has a
clue about best practices in decision making by discussing the issue
with those who are interested. This exact move of files clearly wasn't
decided here on translators mailing list. No recent discussion was
held, no simple warning was posted (sic!). I find this move really
demotivating.

I'd agree, but isn't it too early to say that? I mean, I don't see any word
in oS wiki, nor official annoucement, instructions, ...
Lack of all the things you mentioned is exactly the reason to feel demotivated.

I remember the suggestion about using weblate for opensuse-i18n some
time ago, but no decision was made back then. While I really think
that this is a good idea in general as it might lower the complexity
of the process for beginners, I don't think that forcing us to use
this tool is also a good idea.

Isn't Weblate just another UI? I mean, all needed files are in
https://github.com/opensuse/ is there should be nothing preventing GIT lovers
from working, right?
Yes, that is correct, everybody capable of git will be fine. But every
app and every yast module is at the separate repo, so AFAICS the
translators would need to somehow manage with 150+ repos, doesn't
sound like a lot of fun, does it?

It is clear that keichwa or sbrabec owe us an explanation.

I think sbrabec is only author of Weblate, but he is not anyhow responsible
for decision making...
No, Weblate's author's name is Michal Čihař. sbrabec is the one who
commited the change to SVN, so he is at least part of decision makers.

--
Regards, Minton.