Re: [opensuse-translation] Steps for creating Spanish variants?
Den 07. sep. 2015 19:10, Carlos E. R. skreiv:
>>Till now, the consensus was to provide a single translation
>>using language accepted by all. But some of the new translators
>>do not accept this agreement and want to split the Spain
>>variant.
>
>I do not see why we could not keep "es" as-is and add other
>variants as needed or as provided. Once more translations are
>available, we'd have to discuss how to enable them in the system.
Because the variant they want to create is es-ES, which till now was
the generic one, and now would be the specific for Spain.

Am I correct in assuming that the current translation is in what’s sometimes called ‘neutral Spanish’ or ‘Standard Spanish’? See

http://blog.globalizationpartners.com/what-is-neutral-spanish.aspx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Spanish

For example, if it actively tries to avoid using words and expression only used in certain Spanish-speaking countries (e.g. Spain), plain ‘es’ is certainly the right language code, and the translation would be appropriate for many es_* locales.

But if the current translation instead uses words, expression and terminology specific to Spain, ‘es_ES’ is the right language code, and the translation files should be renamed. (Note that this doesn’t stop people in other locales using this translation if they want, e.g., by setting the LANGUAGE variable.)

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer