Re: [opensuse-translation] Steps for creating Spanish variants?
"Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On 2015-09-07 08:03, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
I think you'd better keep es for now, and start with a South
American (es_AR) (and European (es_ES)) variant, if there are
demand and resources. Then we would use "es" as a fallback, if a
translation of the variant is not available.

And how would anybody decide which variant?

I'd say the one who provides the translation -- in the open source
context, that's the only way that could work.

The differences between South/Central American Spanish variants are
quite large, same as with es_ES. And we don't have those resources.

I'd pick one or two of the bigger Countries (AR or MX). Of course, if a
translator from, say, CR would not feel comfortable neither with AR nor
MX, it would be fine to start with es_CR (in addition to plain and
hopefully very international "es").

This all depends on those who actually want to do translations. I would
not create SVN directories "in advance".

--
Karl Eichwalder SUSE Linux GmbH
R&D / Documentation Maxfeldstraße 5