Re: [opensuse-translation] Managing SUSE translations in unified way
On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 15:48:37 -0300
"Gabriel [SGT]" <gabriel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Vít Pelčák <v.pelcak@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Thing is, that you should've been more public about this tool with
propper howto/wiki/whatever in place before.
I can't help but feel insulted by this thread, everything I read is an
attack to the tool I developed.

Problem is that Tomáš probably searched for tools, did not find yours
http://www.vertaal.com.ar
so he could not see that there are some translations. After he did
some work to provide web based translation tool and proudly announced
that there is now centralized server for all openSUSE translation
needs.

What he found out is outright rejection with very little to no
information how current process is working. I doubt that Tomáš did not
try to search mail lists, but without knowing exact name of translation
server, I would be surprised that he found anything.

The only reason for the existence of Vertaal was to provide a way to
organize a task, that otherwise, would be a mess. Vertaal born in
2009, replacing a previous tool also developed by me, named POAT.

A basic documentation for users exists
https://github.com/dahool/vertaal/wiki/User-Guide that's all (no, you
won't find it in google, all robots are disabled)

As you may noticed, if it would be accessible by Google, then
translation list would, most likely, not see whole this discussion
that showed how easy is to break community project.

One bad day for one vocal contributor, when he expects that everyone
know what he knows, probably spiced with problems to learn and debug
new system components, that creates an argument with people willing to
give their time to openSUSE project, just as you do, and we have cracks
in a community.

It was meant for
openSUSE only, that's the reason it doesn't support (yet) git, and
because I don't want to host all the space required for git. I didn't
want to sell it for anything else but openSUSE.

I know someone created the project in transifex, so, there is another
tool too, why don't we use transifex instead (which for me is very
very similar of what I could see of weblate)

https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/opensuse-manuals/
someone is Margerite, that is contributing to openSUSE, and most likely
she did not find Vertaal too.

https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/openSUSE-packages/
there is only Russian translation active. As there is Russian
translation of Factory in Vertaal, it seems that they don't communicate
among themselves quite well.

There was a suggestion to introduce weblate and move to git. I'm not
against that, the only thing I'm against it's the branch merging, if
that is optional, I'm good. I can't even stop wasting my money
maintaining the Vertaal VPS.

I don't see why is branch merging a problem. I'm not active as
translator, so I have no idea why merging may present a problem. If you
have some example to help understanding.

Of course, this is only my very personal opinion.

:-)
We all express our opinion.

--
Kind Regards