Re: [opensuse-translation] Managing SUSE translations in unified way
  • From: Vít Pelčák <v.pelcak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 19:02:29 +0200

On Monday, 2013-04-29 at 15:53 +0200, Vít Pelčák wrote:

2013/4/29 Carlos E. R. <>:

Why should the Spanish team document things in English? Or the French in
English? We use our own languages. Some have their own mail lists. Each
team
has their own different procedures.

Perhaps I should create some tool and document it in Czech, of course.
You would certainly understand and appreciate it. Ecpeecially when I
would use it as argument against deployment of other tool
Whatever is documented in language other than English is not
documented at all. Like it or not, but English is "Lingua Franca" of
IT.

Because it is you who is propossing we use a different tool and set of
procedures than those we already use, so the onus is on you to convince us
:-)

Pardon me? I don't remember me proposing anything.

Maybe you have a point that all our procedures are not documented in
English, or that the English documentation is obsolete. Well, you can then
simply ask us about it, and we'll try to explain.

In that case, you cannot wonder that there is attempt to unify current
mess, when you don't tell anybody about your tool and basically nobody
uses it.

But I must say again that each team uses their own organization, and they
document it (or not) in their own languages, because it is their own people
who has to read it.

And that might actually be the reason why there is attempt to
implement some tool. Nobody knows about yours, so it was assumed that
there are none such in place.

I agree, it was not good idea to try to implement something without
consulting community.
Nevertheless, it is not excuse for your behaviour.

Nor yours :-)

Sorry? I criticise and give reasons and arguments. While you just
complain and are overall unconstructive.

There could still be some debate started. Something actually
productive. Something what would lead to benefit of whole community.
Why did you try so much to prevent it from happening?
It looks pretty selfish to me, to be honest.

Because it was worded as an already made decission from above, without the
translator community having any thing to say or do.

As I said, nobody knew about your tool, it was assumed, that there is
none. Sure, I understand, that question whether there are some
problems with such decission should be asked first, nevertheless, you
could choose more constructive approach to reach some compromise which
would make everyone happy.

Anyway, Tomas is just member of community. Just like you, on the same
level. He offered to dedicate his time and effort into improving
current suboptimal situation.

And in case you haven't noticed, just your complaints were enough to
stop that effort. So, apparently, it was not decission from above as
it would otherwise be forced down our throats whether we like it or
not.

And, as far as I see it, the propsed method will simply stop me working on
translations, I would have to quit.

While current situation makes many people not to start at all.

/That/ is how we work.

You were defending your position by saying that your tool is
documented, which it effectively is not.

It is not /my/ tool. It is a tool that members of this community developed
and implemented when they saw we needed something.

"Your" means, tool (only) your team uses. Which is correct.

It is not the first tool
or solution we tried, but the third IIRC, and the most succesful one, yet.
I'm just a happy user of this tool.

One of ... er ... three users?

So, do you mean it in a way, that it is OK if those three people block
improvement for the remaining languages?

If you can not find out how we use it, say so and I will try to explain it.
Maybe write it in some wiki iin English, time permitting.

Thing is, that you should've been more public about this tool with
propper howto/wiki/whatever in place before.

Then it would be different storry. Nobody would come with sentence
"OK, I'm going to implement this".

Just compare accessibility of your tool with Weblate. Google returns
its webpage just in first entry found.
While for your tool, it was not so much. Then you cannot wonder that
basically nobody knows your tool and assumes there's none.

Regards
Vit Pelcak

- -- Cheers,

Vit Pelcak