Re: [opensuse-translation] Managing SUSE translations in unified way
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 17:11:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Monday, 2013-04-29 at 15:53 +0200, Vít Pelčák wrote:

2013/4/29 Carlos E. R. <>:

Why should the Spanish team document things in English? Or the French in
English? We use our own languages. Some have their own mail lists. Each team
has their own different procedures.

Perhaps I should create some tool and document it in Czech, of course.
You would certainly understand and appreciate it. Ecpeecially when I
would use it as argument against deployment of other tool
Whatever is documented in language other than English is not
documented at all. Like it or not, but English is "Lingua Franca" of
IT.

Because it is you who is propossing we use a different tool and set of procedures than those we already use, so the onus is on you to convince us :-)

Maybe you have a point that all our procedures are not documented in English, or that the English documentation is obsolete. Well, you can then simply ask us about it, and we'll try to explain.

But I must say again that each team uses their own organization, and they document it (or not) in their own languages, because it is their own people who has to read it.

I agree, it was not good idea to try to implement something without
consulting community.
Nevertheless, it is not excuse for your behaviour.

Nor yours :-)

There could still be some debate started. Something actually
productive. Something what would lead to benefit of whole community.
Why did you try so much to prevent it from happening?
It looks pretty selfish to me, to be honest.

Because it was worded as an already made decission from above, without the translator community having any thing to say or do.

And, as far as I see it, the propsed method will simply stop me working on translations, I would have to quit.

/That/ is how we work.

You were defending your position by saying that your tool is
documented, which it effectively is not.

It is not /my/ tool. It is a tool that members of this community developed and implemented when they saw we needed something. It is not the first tool or solution we tried, but the third IIRC, and the most succesful one, yet. I'm just a happy user of this tool.

If you can not find out how we use it, say so and I will try to explain it. Maybe write it in some wiki iin English, time permitting.

- -- Cheers,