Re: [opensuse-translation] Managing SUSE translations in unified way
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 14:17:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Monday, 2013-04-22 at 07:11 +0200, Michal Hrusecky wrote:
Carlos E. R. - 3:31 22.04.13 wrote:

Prove that weblate does that and more.

Somebody already said that in this discussion. I'm not going to do that as your
workflow is not documented and simply I don't care that much to spend hours
comparing tools and undocumented workflow to hear in that end that I didn't
take into consideration something that was impossible to find.

It is documented.

You people have not bothered to ask us. :-/

And I will not use a webtool to do the actual translation, same as you.

So no point in complaining about vertaal ;-)

Vertaal is not used to do the actual translation.

So say what it is used for and how do you use it, so Tomas could tell you how
to do that with git/weblate.

lokalize, kbabel, poedit... Even emacs.

I have by now watched the video, and I have not seen that demonstrated.

I don't see how a team coordinator can assign a file to a single translator, how can that translator download and submit the file. Or how can a team member request, lock, and download a file.

All that are things that vertaal does.

Presentation from last oSC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVlXt6QdgdA

Demo:

http://demo.weblate.org/

login: demo
pass: demo

Ok, seen it, and tried it.

It is just a tool to do translations online with some interesting features. I will not work online. I do not see how team coordinators can assign jobs.

I'm not convinced.

I'm not negative. I have been doing this from the start. I had to find out
how to do it, work hard, and teach others. I have invested many hundreds
of hours in this.

Which is appreciated. And Tomas is trying to make it easier not only for
newcomers so people wouldn't have to work hard to learn everything and can just
translate stuff.

But you are in fact making it way harder for _me_.

Now you people want us to do it differently, change it all, and I'm simply
not buying it. I will not start over unless you convince me.

As probably agree, there are few issues, for example:

* finding new translators is not easy
* translation fixes are not always propagated to the older releases

As said in another post, fixes in older releases will not make into an update unless the release/update manager approves it first, no matter if you have the string corrected in git or elsewhere.

Which Tomas was trying to address and you just keep repeating that you don't
want to learn anything new. That I call negative ;-)

It is realistic. I don't see why I should use something new when what we use now is perfect.

<http://i18n.opensuse.org/stats/openSUSE-12.3/toplist.php>

Systemd was forced upon us by the developers. We had to accept it because
we can't refuse. This is the same, it is forced into us; with the
difference that this time you need translators to do the working. I say I
don't like it and I'm not playing.

We didn't had to accept systemd. But nobody cared enough. This time it was
*sugested* by one guy who does a lot of translations and wanted to make
openSUSE translators live easier.

Without asking translators _here_ first.
I don't call that "suggestion". I call that "impossition".

If SUSE changes the translation system, it is up to them to find again
translators and organize it all. Not my problem. I use the system in
English, anyway.

Again, It's not SUSE. It's one community member who tried to improve current
situation and make it easier and attract new translators. Who wanted to help
and found people who don't want to hear/try new ways and resist all changes.

No.

It is somebody with a suse email address, so to me it is SUSE.

SUSE is not trying to do anything in this regards, just one guy who does it in
his free time and who happens to work for SUSE. He is also Gentoo developer.
Do you suggest that, that Gentoo is trying to impose something? He is also KDE
contributor, so is KDE conspiring together with SUSE and Gentoo to stop you
translating?

I'm not buying it.

He has an official SUSE email address, so he is SUSE to me. As far as I'm concerned, and no matter your denials, it is SUSE who is pushing this on us; so it is SUSE game, not mine, nor the community any longer.

- -- Cheers,