Re: [opensuse-translation] Managing SUSE translations in unified way
su. den 21. 04. 2013 klokka 22.09 (+0200) skreiv Michal Hrusecky:
Which is why Weblate could actually help. It will lower the initial barrier to
let people translate just few things they care about and translation team
could
just approve it.

Just a small comment: This is a really bad idea. Experience has time and
time again shown that this type of ‘drive-by translation’ (as done in
Ubuntu’s Rosetta/Launchpad) does much more harm than good. The
translations are usually done by people that don’t know the linguistic
guidelines of the translation team, haven’t translated the rest of the
application, and thus can’t ensure a consistent translation, and,
frankly, often don’t have the linguistic capabilities or technical
knowhow to do good translations (yes, of course there are exceptions).

In my experience handling translation suggestions in Launchpad, I will
spend much more time reading a suggestion and fixing/rewriting it than I
would translating the source string directly.

I guess suggestions *would* be useful for pointing out mistakes /
possible improvements in existing translations (and this is something
that is needed, as we really don’t have a good infrastructure for it),
it is *not* useful for ‘drive-by translation’.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer
http://huftis.org/