Re: [opensuse-translation] Managing SUSE translations in unified way
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 16:45:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Sunday, 2013-04-21 at 15:54 +0200, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
må. den 15. 04. 2013 klokka 14.00 (+0200) skreiv Tomáš Chvátal:

I’m not sure I understand correctly. Will we be able to do just do a

git pull [to fetch *all* the .po files]
... do the translation using Lokalize and other tools ...
git commit

?

That sounds like a good solution. I will not use a Web-based translation
system, for various reasons (e.g., we use several tools and scripts to
ensure quality translations, and all Web-based solutions I have tried
have turned out to be slow, inefficient and detrimental to good quality
translations).

But that will not work for the teams that use vertaal, it is the end for us. And of course, all my scripts and procedures will stop working, I'd have to find out if I can do the same with git. More work.

And I will not use a webtool to do the actual translation, same as you.

I did have a look at Weblate. The wikipedia article has a prominent note:

This article may rely excessively on sources too closely
associated with the subject, preventing the article from
being verifiable and neutral. Please help improve it by
replacing them with more appropriate citations to reliable,
independent, third-party sources. (March 2013)

There is a link to a demo, though. I don't even know what to see there, there are no videos, slides, nothing. And I'm not going to create an account to try to find out how I'm supposed to do things with it. I'm supposed to buy it, so sell it to me.

BTW, I don’t really understand why the translation files for openSUSE
are often outdated, and the need to move to Git. In KDE, which I also
translate for, most applications have moved to Git, but the translations
stay in SVN (Git gives us no advantages over SVN, and would only
complicate the lives of translators). And the translations templates
stay in a central directory

That sounds very good to me.

I do not collaborate, but I read the "Kde-l10n-es" mail list. I understand that translators are assigned files by a person (a coordinator).

In the GNU translation project, where I collaborate a bit, people are asigned files by the team coordinator. Then we receive an email indicating that we have to work, and a link to download the .po file. We translate it and send it back by email. A robot receives it, accepting or rejecting it automatically. Somehow, it is submitted to each project.

Here, some teams use vertaal to automatically handle asignation of files, and also download/updates them if they want. If we are forced to use git, vertaal breaks, and the whole thing collapses, it has to be redone from scratch.

Thus I'll be out.

It is already difficult to find volunteer translators, there is no interest. None else from the Spanish team has even bothered to say a word in our mail list.

If SUSE changes the translation system, it is up to them to find again translators and organize it all. Not my problem. I use the system in English, anyway.

I'm not motivated to start it all over again...

- -- Cheers,