Re: [opensuse-translation] Unbreakable spaces in translations?
  • From: Guillaume Gardet <guillaume.gardet@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 12:14:46 +0100

Le 13/12/2012 12:03, Stephan Kulow a écrit :
On 13.12.2012 11:17, Guillaume Gardet wrote:
Hi,

Is there anyone who knows if we can use unbreakable spaces (&nbsp;) in
our translations? Or will it be displayed &nbsp; instead of a space?
I guess the answer depends on the PO file but it would be very nice to
know which files could use &nbsp; and which cannot.

Maybe Karl could help?
You can't even answer that for single applications as it depends how the
string is used. If it's displayed in a RTF text message, it might be ok,
but not if it's on command line.

For yast it might even be worse - Qt and GTK might display it correctly,
ncurses not. So I would rather not do it unless you can test yourself in
all circumstances.

I have found another solution which should be ok in all PO files (and all
apps). I replace space ASCII code (20) with non breakable space ASCII code (A0).

I need it because in french we have a space before : ; ! ? and others and those
spaces must be unbreakable.

French KDE team already use that, so I guess it is reliable.

Guillaume

Greetings, Stephan