Re: [opensuse-translation] Translation of http://www.opensuse.org/
2012/5/30 Thomas Schmidt <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On 30.05.2012 11:21, Guillaume Gardet wrote:

Hi,

Le 29/05/2012 14:24, Thomas Schmidt a écrit :

On 29.05.2012 14:15, Guillaume Gardet wrote:

Hi,

does anyone know how is translated http://www.opensuse.org/ ?
There are no PO file for it. I think it was in a raw text file or a
spreadsheet or something like that.
Translation of http://www.opensuse.org/fr/ (French) is not complete. Who
should I contact to get the strings translated?

Cheers,

Guillaume

Please do a pull request on github for this file:
https://github.com/openSUSE/landing-page/blob/master/fr/index.shtml
or send the translated version here.

Greetings

In fact, it is the whats_hot.html page which does not exist for french and
thus we use the english one. Could I translate it and use it as it is
done for "de" or "es" for example?

Sure, just add the frech version of whats_hot and include it in index.shtml.
Similar to how it's done for de.

Hi

I think we can make the same as coolo does for software.o.o. He
creates .po files for that page and let the i18n team translate that
page. The advantage is that when tha page changes (generally once for
release) the mantainer or AJ doesn't need to ask for translation, as
the updated files will be on i18n svn.

I made a test with po4a-gettextize (package po4a) and html2po (package
translate-toolkit) for index.shtml
Both create .po files, po4a with 42 strings and html2po with 29
strings. Why the difference?
html2po extract some tags inside a string while po4a not. See below 2
example strings:

html2po

1:
<strong>openSUSE</strong> is a free and Linux-based operating system for
your PC, Laptop or Server. You can surf the web, manage your e-mails and
photos, do office work, play videos or music and <em>have a lot of fun!</em>

and this:

2:
<input type="hidden" name="language" value="en" /> <select id="searchscope"
name="searchscope"> <option value="blogs">search in blog-posts</option>
<option value="news">search the news</option> <option
value="software">search for software</option> <option value="wiki"
selected="selected">search in help-section</option> </select> <input
type="text" name="searchstring" class="textfield" /> <input type="image"
alt="run search" title="run search" class="searchbutton" src="http://static.
opensuse.org/hosts/www.o.o/images/frontpage/magnifier.png" />

po4a-gettextize

1a:
openSUSE

1b:
is a free and Linux-based\n
operating system for your PC, Laptop or Server.\n
You can surf the web, manage your e-mails and photos,\n
do office work, play videos or music and\n

1c:
have a lot of fun!

and

2a:
search in blog-posts

2b:
search the news

2c:
search for software

2d:
search in help-section

For what's hot page, the number of resulting strings is 7 for html2po
and 30 for po4a-gettextize

Regards,

Luiz