Re: [opensuse-translation] Global localization issues
  • From: Leandro Regueiro <leandro.regueiro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 14:16:39 +0200

On 2012-04-26 17:30, Michael Skiba wrote:

But we should not ship those basically empty or very outdated yast
translation packages.  I guess I'll skip all languages during packaging,
that are listed in trunk/yast/wanted_languages.

If the strings haven't changed I don't see a problem with outdated
translations, I guess most teams have tons of strings that they haven't
touched in several years now.

Yes, a really outdated message would be fuzzy and not used. Any used
translation must be correct by definition.

Maybe we can only remove languages with zero or near zero translated
strings, and no activity in last version.

Remove from where?

I think we should ping the list once in a while to check for inactive
translation teams (something like: The following teams had no activity in the
last 15 months and will be declared unmaintained if noone replies) after that
we should drop a note in the openSUSE-news/ML/... or something like that
stating that we are looking for translators for those languages.

Quite.

One thing that I've experienced is that new translators are more likely to
follow an "invitation" rather than start the initiative on their own (most
likely because they don't know where to start and what to do).

Yes, it is possible.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

               Carlos E. R.
               (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)