Re: [opensuse-translation] lokalize
  • From: Leandro Regueiro <leandro.regueiro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 14:10:25 +0200

On 2012-04-12 10:00, Michael Skiba wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2012, 13:54:03 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
I need a guide for dummies, I'm not going to study hard when I can just
click in kbabel and get it done.
Hey Carlos,

I'm looking at the Kbabel source (at least that's what I think it is ;D). As
it looks to me, Kbabel DID NOT use msgfmt to compare the syntax of
original/translation, but rather implemented an own algorithm to do so
(basicly counting the number of &s in each).

I thought it did its own checking, yes. But it also calls msgfmt. You are
checking one of the tests only :-)

It also calls msgfmt when trying to save the file - which is also a problem
if you don't know how to solve the error and want to email somebody else to
have a look at it. I know it calls msgfmt because when there is an error it
tells you so and the dialog has the capture of the command output.

Do you know what any other checks Kbabel performes?

I made a photo, I'll transcribe the test names.

 Check syntax    --> msgfmt --statistics
 Translations containing English
 Check accelerators
 Whitespace translations
 Check plural forms
 Check translated message length
 Check translated messages with a set of regular expressions
 Check equations
 Check tags
 Look for translated context info
 Check arguments
 Check punctuation

When doing "All tests", one errors with "Error loading data (file not
found)". I don't remember which test it refers to, I'll call them one by
one to find out [...] Ok, it is the "Check translated messages with a set
of regular expressions" test.

I don't have it installed
anymore, but I think it also checked whether the amount of "\n"'s is the
same,
right? (although msgfmt actually just cares about whether they both end with
an "\n", since some languages could use an additional extra line or two for
better readability).

Yes, you can add as many as you need, but it errors if the last one is
different.

Maybe I can implement something like that in Lokalize, or at least point the
right people at the right things.

That would be fantastic.

Instead of implement this in Lokalize maybe will be better to
integrate it with other tools like Pology or Translate Toolkit
pofilter tool: http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/pofilter_tests

Bye