Re: [opensuse-translation] Chit chat: "Please"
Guillaume Gardet <guillaume.gardet@xxxxxxx> writes:

I think they want to unify strings. You reported "please" but I saw
similar things like add or remove a dot at the end of a sentence, etc.
Lots of fuzzy for translators but quiclky fixed! And it should be
better in the user interface once done.

Yes, that's the main motivation.

Jiri Suchomel <jsuchome@xxxxxxx> writes:

Yes, we are removing 'please' on purpose - and this is actually nothing new,
it's been years already.

The reasoning is something like, 'it does not fit into technical style of
documentation'. It is of course nothing like we do not want to be polite.

Yes, that's it. Background info: Quite some time ago, we lost our official
proofreader ;-( and new developers joined (which is a good thing) and
thus some basic info about writing good software texts got lost.

Using "please" is just annoying to the user. The shorter the texts, the
better. Of course, the text must be long enough that an international
reader can easily understand the English version.

R&D / Documentation Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg, Germany