Re: [opensuse-translation] Chit chat: "Please"
  • From: Guillaume Gardet <guillaume.gardet@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 15:05:53 +0200
Hi,

On 2012-04-06 08:59, Alexander Melentyev wrote:
2012/4/6 Freek de Kruijf <f.de.kruijf@xxxxxxxxx>:
In Dutch, we leave out the please already for a long time and the really
for
that matter. But that's our culture. So if you want something there, add
it or
leave it out.
Agreed. The word "please" is not commonly used in russian tech docs
either, so the rule was defined not to write it in translated strings.
And because of that I only had to approve such fuzzy strings in most
cases. =)

Yes, in Spanish we don't use it either, so the translations do not change.
But that was not why I mentioned the change, but why change it at all in
English. Has the customary "please" been pushed out of fashion in English
speaking countries, or perhaps in some? Has SUSE made a policy telling
their programmers to review their software not to say "please"? It is
curious so many programs being modified to remove the wording.

I think they want to unify strings. You reported "please" but I saw similar
things like add or remove a dot at the end of a sentence, etc.
Lots of fuzzy for translators but quiclky fixed! And it should be better in the
user interface once done.

Guillaume