Re: [opensuse-translation] Moving SVN to opensuse.org
Strainu <strainu10@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

I don't want to monopolize this thread, but I was very busy when the
translation project first moved to berlios and I can't find the
relevant mails in the archive. Could someone remind us why did this
change happen in the first place?

We move from Novell Forge to Berlios because Novell Forge closed doors.
But Novell Forge also supported svn+ssh. Some guys were using it
(because https did not work for them; I think, if we tried harder, we
could have made https also work for them).

I think svn+ssh is marginally faster (less overhead) than https.

Was it because of these missing features? If so, perhaps they were
really important at the time.

Up til now it is unclear, whether svn+ssh will become available. It
would mean some kind of shell access or, at least, more binaries on the
svn server, which the admin were happy to avoid thus far.

Sorry for the many emails I've sent today, some of them quite
offtopic.

It pretty ok to exchange argument, esp. because the actual move may take
a little bit longer (as said yesterday).

R&D / Documentation Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg, Germany