[opensuse-translation] Re: Vertaal (was: Moving SVN to opensuse.org)

On 2011-11-30 10:18, Strainu wrote:
Time to change the subject here.

You forgot to send to the list. Forwarding.

On 2011-11-29 17:01, Strainu wrote:
That's the code. The glossary says: cc-by-nc-sa-3.0 [
http://www.vertaal.com.ar/iterm/opensuse/ro/list/ ],

Creativecommons is a free license, and it applies to the words you add to
the glossary.

Carlos, that is a common misconception. In order for a license to be
free, it has to meet four criteria. See
http://freedomdefined.org/Definition . All NC licenses fail at "The
freedom to redistribute copies: Copies may be sold, swapped or given
away for free, as part of a larger work, a collection, or
independently."

See also http://freedomdefined.org/Licenses for a list of free content
licenses and http://freedomdefined.org/Licenses/NC for a list of the
problems NC licenses have.

More to the point, if I decide to use Vertaal's glossary, I will be
unable to license my translations under GPL, for instance, because GPL
allows for commercial uses. Also, it is highly unlikely that a
glossary can even be copyrighted. I am pretty sure you won't be able
to do it in in the US, and in the EU it will be protected by the
database creators' rights, not by copyright itself.

Another issue with Vertaal is that it does not make clear (or I could
not identify) the license for the translations themselves. Different
projects might have different expectations, so it would be useful for
the translation team to choose its own license.

I don't really see a problem with those issues for now, as most
glossaries are empty and there are only a handful of projects, but
these should be addressed if you want to further enlarge this project.

The translations themselves have the same legal status regardless of you
using vertaal or not. The .po files usually have a license preamble, and
that is what applies.

As to CC not being free, I disagree. It was invented precisely for being
contrary to the copyright.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)