Re: [opensuse-translation] Re: obsolete webyast pot files in openSUSE localization svn?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 15:00:05 +0100 (CET)

On Friday, 2011-03-04 at 15:41 +0100, Kálmán Kéménczy wrote:

This sounds very promising for me.
I really thank you for cooperation and thanks to Karl for help and
thanks for other I forgot :).

Can't wait to see how smoothly will run this process!

I have a doubt.

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Stefan Schubert <> wrote:
Hi Kálmán,
WebYaST has the problem that is is used in OpenSUSE
AND SLES products.
In SLES products we have to use our own translations but
we would like to use the community translations for OpenSUSE.
We have one codestream for WebYaST only. So the problem
is to take the correct translation set for each OpenSUSE or
SLES release.

I have talked to Karl Eichwald how to solve this issue and we have
found one solution which satisfies both sides:
WebYaST packages will contain the Novell translations.
When we are making the next OpenSUSE release the
OpenSUSE translations will be put into the package
"translation-update". This will be handled by Karl. (Thank you Karl !)
gettext has a mechanism to prefer these translation. So the Novell
translations will NOT be used by WebYaST on OpenSUSE although
they are still in the WebYaST packages.

I don't understand completely.

I think you mean that the webyast package will contain the Novell translation, and in opensuse these will be overwritten by the openSuSE translations in a separate update. Is that it?

Well... could be.

I would prefer the webyast package containing the correct translation for each distribution, somehow. Or there will be problems ahead.

I have already translated the Spanish side of webyast and uploaded it to the svn at berlios. I fear this is too late for 11.4 GM (although I opened a Bugzilla about this on Feb 14), so I would really like to see this update package distributed via YOU.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)