[opensuse-translation] Re: obsolete webyast pot files in openSUSE localization svn?
  • From: Kálmán Kéménczy <kkemenczy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 15:41:56 +0100
Hi Stafan,

This sounds very promising for me.
I really thank you for cooperation and thanks to Karl for help and
thanks for other I forgot :).

Can't wait to see how smoothly will run this process!

best
kalman

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Stefan Schubert <schubi@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Kálmán,
WebYaST has the problem that is is used in OpenSUSE
AND SLES products.
In SLES products we have to use our own translations but
we would like to use the community translations for OpenSUSE.
We have one codestream for WebYaST only. So the problem
is to take the correct translation set for each OpenSUSE or
SLES release.

I have talked to Karl Eichwald how to solve this issue and we have
found one solution which satisfies both sides:
WebYaST packages will contain the Novell translations.
When we are making the next OpenSUSE release the
OpenSUSE translations will be put into the package
"translation-update". This will be handled by Karl. (Thank you Karl !)
gettext has a mechanism to prefer these translation. So the Novell
translations will NOT be used by WebYaST on OpenSUSE although
they are still in the WebYaST packages.

So, how is the timeframe ?

- As 11.4 is already out we have time until the next release. Feel free to
start an translation round. But is has time until next release.
- I will update the pot files around reaching the first milestone of the
next OpenSUSE release and will post an EMAIL to this list in order to inform
the translation community.
- WebYaST will be integrated in the general OpenSUSE translation round
workflow then.
- Karl or I will pick up the translations and will generate the
concerning package
when the translations are available.

I hope that will solve this problem. Feel free remark other/additional
opinions.

Greetings
Stefan